Friday, November 6, 2015

[It's the Interns] Meet Norman Cervantes

It is time to meet our AMAZING Interns!

Advancing Justice-Atlanta Interns are here and "It's the Interns" series goes in-depth about who is working behind and in front of the scene to Build Power for Good in the South!

By Norman Cervantes




·    Hello! Tell us little about yourself

Hello everyone! My name is Norman Cervantes a senior at Clayton State University majoring in Psychology with a minor in Sociology. A couple of things that you should know about me is that I am a very hard-working and ambitious individual who likes to take on challenges no matter how daunting they may be. Other than this, I like to keep myself busy by volunteering or taking up leadership positions in other organizations or by running in my universities’ Cross Country and Track athletic programs. Lastly, I am a pretty big fan of hard rock and alternative metal. Well, that’s pretty much it! 

·    What made you decide to apply for this internship?

I applied to this internship because at my core I am very passionate about helping out minorities in any way possible, especially through political leverage or civil rights. After all, I am a minority myself, so I thought it would be a no-brainer to help out another minority group in need. Nowadays, minorities are fighting each other trying to outdo each other to see who comes out on top. Instead of fighting, we should unite together because we are all going through similar struggles like relegation to inferior positions in society. Since I am heavily involved in the civil rights movement via an executive position (Co-chair of PR) with my school’s NAACP chapter, I thought this would be a good opportunity to complement what I am already doing.

·    What is your expectation and what would you like to get out of the internship experience?

From this internship I expect to become knowledgeable about the Asian Community’s struggles, strengths and weaknesses, and areas of improvement. I also expect to come in contact with various ethnic groups, see significant improvements with my multicultural and communication skills, become an educated individual in regards to the workings of our complex political system and policy making, etc. Overall, I would like to gain memorable experiences and knowledge from this internship.

·    Tell us your personal narrative on being Asian in America

This question is not applicable to me, but since I do look Asian, I guess I might be able to address it in an unorthodox manner. I am Mexican-American but ever since I can remember, my Hispanic friends would call me “Chino/Chinito” (Spanish for a male individual from China) because of my appearance. My pseudo-Asiatic appearance is both a gift and curse; I get mocked and accepted for my appearance. However, over the years I have accepted it as a virtue that makes me unique and memorable. For example, I like to see the expression of awe in people’s faces when I tell them my true nationality. It never ceases to make my day and it’s a great conversation starter too!  I have fully embraced this uniqueness.

·    What role would you like to play in Asian American Community in the future?

I would like to play the role of an advocate for the Asian American Community; a supporter of any and all beneficial endeavors emerging from the Asian Community.


·    What is your song of the year?

 I like the underlying message of this alternative metal song: Breach Birth by Chevelle

·    Any Last words???

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.” – Desmond Tutu




No comments:

Post a Comment