Friday, October 30, 2015

[It's the Interns] Civic Engagement is a bottom-up assurance that the democratic political system is a well-operated one.

It is always hard to say good bye!
Advancing Justice-Atlanta Summer Internship has come to a close. "it's the Interns" series continue with our interns who worked behind and in front of the scene to Build Power for Good in the South and their thoughts on the Internship.

By Yao Sun




·    What was your most memorable moment from the internship?

My most memorable moment was when I was waiting for a detainee at the Stewart Detention Center and I saw the plastic glass between the visitor’s room and the center inside. On the glass there were words scratched by the detainees and their visitors. 

·    What was an eye-opening, unexpected experience, challenges, or knowledge gained from the internship?

I learnt the skills of making professional phone calls from phone banking and making informational conversations with strangers from door-to-door canvassing. Those are the skills important to my future career and I could only gain those skills from hands-on experience.

·    Why do you believe it is important to be involved in Civic Engagement?

I think it is important to be involved in Civic Engagement because it is an effective way to participate in politics. Also, Civic Engagement is a bottom-up assurance that the democratic political system is a well-operated one. 

·    How do you hope to incorporate what you have learned this summer as you go forward?

I learned a lot this summer about how to work with my coworkers, our business partners and even strangers. I think I will incorporate the communication skills into my future career. 

·    What advice do you have for the future interns?

Try to talk to the people around you, either the staff members or other interns. You will find they are insightful and amazing persons and you will learn a great deal from your relationships with them. 

·    What unique skill set did you developed from the internship?

I developed the skills to cooperate with others and communicate with people from different walks of life.  

· What was the best Asian dish you had throughout the internship?

Indian food for sure! And the buttery Naan we had at the community banquet!

·    Why are you proud to work with the immigrant community?

It elevates my awareness of the legal and social status quo of immigrant. And I think their hardship and struggling in life is obscure to the public. 













No comments:

Post a Comment