Tuesday, November 17, 2015

[It's the Intern] Meet Nathalie Levine

It is time to meet our AMAZING Intern!

Advancing Justice-Atlanta Interns are here and "It's the Intern" series goes in-depth about who is working behind and in front of the scene to Build Power for Good in the South!

By Nathalie Levine


·    Hello! Tell us little about yourself

Hello! My name is Nathalie and I'm a recent college graduate who just moved to Atlanta. I love singing, playing instruments, riding my bike, making zines, knitting, cooking, my family, my friends, and girls rock camp. I spent last year studying Chinese on a fellowship in the wonderful cities of Harbin, China and Taipei, Taiwan. 

·    What made you decide to apply for this internship?

I've been studying Mandarin since high school, and I wanted to use my language skills not to become a businessman but to do social justice work in the United States. My family is all from New York and I always expected I would end up there after college. I planned to work with immigrants and longtime residents in Chinatown. 
When I moved to Atlanta instead, I realized that interning for Advancing Justice - Atlanta would be a great way to learn about the political landscape outside of the tri-state area and would help me get connected to people who care about the same things I do. 

·    What is your expectation and what would you like to get out of the internship experience?

I am hoping to learn about the diversity of Asian-American communities in Atlanta and the Southeast, and about the roles coalition building and community organizing can play in policy campaigns. I am also curious about what it's like to be a lawyer for the good guys. 

·    Tell us your personal narrative on being Asian in America

I am mixed-race Chinese-American, and for a long time I did not feel that I could claim Asian-American identity because I didn't have a recognizably Asian name or face or accent. Studying Chinese and spending time in China were the first steps I took toward reclaiming my identity as Chinese-American. Studying Asian-American history in college and learning about my own family's place in that history cemented for me that my experiences, while perhaps not typical, are Asian-American experiences, and that I can proudly call myself an Asian-American. 

·    What role would you like to play in Asian American Community in the future?

I plan to keep improving my Mandarin (and my Taiwanese and Toisan!), studying Chinese history and anthropology, and learning (and making zines!) about the inspiring history of my Asian-Americans and especially Asian-American women. I hope to remain involved in the work of mobilizing Asian-Americans to raise their voices against injustice.


·    What is your song of the year?

My song of the year is the Hamilton soundtrack! 

·    Any Last words???

This is a difficult but hopeful time to be working on behalf of people of color in the United States, and I'm so excited to be part of the work of Asian Americans Advancing Justice - Atlanta.






No comments:

Post a Comment