Thursday, May 21, 2015

[It's the Interns] Meet Sonia Chang

It is time to meet our AMAZING Interns!
Advancing Justice-Atlanta Internship Program has begun and "It's the Interns" series goes in-depth about who is working behind and in front of the scene to Build Power for Good in the South!




·    Hello! Tell us little about yourself

Hello my name is Sonia Chang. I am a sophomore majoring in my bachelors in Accounting and minoring in the Certificate for Community Engagement at Stetson University. I am also a Bonner scholar and volunteer over 280 hours during the school year at a non-profit homeless coalition and prepare taxes for low income families through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program with Unity Way.

·    What made you decide to apply for this internship?

I decided to apply for this internship, because of my passion for immigration reform and my love of service. From my internship experience, I hope to gain a better knowledge of how to best support the Asian American community and apply my major in accounting to strengthen my abilities.


·    What is your expectation and what would you like to get out of the internship experience?

During my time as an intern at Asian Americans Advancing Justice- Atlanta, I hope to coordinate and help with citizenship classes, utilize my accounting major education to further grow as an accountant, and learn specific ways to reach out to the Asian American community to understand how to serve their needs the best. I also expect to help with DACA/DAPA intake and further grow those services within my community.


·    Tell us your personal narrative on being Asian in America

As an Korean American, I know the struggles and hardships my father faced as a first generation immigrant raising me in an unfamiliar country. From the language barrier to labor intensive work, my father did everything he could to support me and provide the best educational opportunities possible. Now as a college student, being an Asian American is more than just a race. It means being part of a community that is there to support you and who understands you the best.

·    What role would you like to play in Asian American Community in the future?

In the future, I hope to further lead the Asian American community towards a path where our voices are heard and we are more united.

·    What is your song of the year?

My current song of the year would have to be “Shut Up and Dance” by the band, Walk the Moon, because I have become even more outgoing and energetic after entering college.

·    Any Last words???

I would not be in the position I am today without the help and support of my community and family. So although I am only one person, I know I have the ability to make a difference in someone else’s life as well.
You can contact me during my internship at sonia@advancingjustice-atlanta.org. Thank you.






No comments:

Post a Comment