Thursday, May 28, 2015

[It's the Interns] Meet Brian Lee

It is time to meet our AMAZING Interns!
Advancing Justice-Atlanta Internship Program has begun and "It's the Interns" series goes in-depth about who is working behind and in front of the scene to Build Power for Good in the South!





·    Hello! Tell us little about yourself

Hello, my name is Brian Lee. I am a rising senior at Northview High School and a previous intern at the Asian American Legal Advocacy Center. I am the vice president of Northview’s National Honor Society, and I spend much of my time looking to improve my community through activities such as tutoring, registering voters, and organizing fundraisers.

·    What made you decide to apply for this internship?

I applied for this internship after reading about the organization’s involvement in Freedom University and providing undocumented students access to education and temporary deferred status primarily because I believe penalizing individuals for consequences that did not precipitate from their actions is unjust. My passion for immigration reform stems from this belief that, as the authority, government is obligated to mend inequalities and wrongful policies, and I believe that aiding the community through Advancing Justice is the most efficient use of my efforts within my limitations as a high school student.

·    What is your expectation and what would you like to get out of the internship experience?

As an intern at the Asian Americans Advancing Justice Atlanta, I would like to expand my understanding of the various facets of immigration policy. At the same time, I would like to help directly connect members of the community to the services provided by the legal system, such as DACA. I also hope that working with individuals in the social justice field will help me determine my future career and major education.


·    Tell us your personal narrative on being Asian in America

Having lived in three countries and two American states, I have had the privilege of experiencing a multitude of cultures that have helped me to understand the differences that lie in between. Undergoing the problems that accompany the immigration including language barriers, economic impediments, and legal documentation with my family has shaped my perspective. Assimilating into a new environment requires empathy and understanding on the part of the community and that we can all help in facilitating this process for each other.

·    What role would you like to play in Asian American Community in the future?

In the future, I hope that I can lead the community as a member of the government in ensuring fair policies in aims to cross cultural differences.

·    What is your song of the year?

It’s somewhat overplayed, but Uptown Funk by Mark Ronson featuring Bruno Mars.










No comments:

Post a Comment