Monday, July 27, 2015

[It's the Interns] Meet Yao Sun

It is time to meet our AMAZING Interns!
Advancing Justice-Atlanta Interns are here and "It's the Interns" series goes in-depth about who is working behind and in front of the scene to Build Power for Good in the South!


·    Hello! Tell us little about yourself

Hi, my name is Yao, and I am from Qingdao, China. I came to the United States for college three years ago. Now I am a rising senior student at Emory University. My major is international studies with a focus on Asia and economic policy. I have been taking part in nonprofit organizations since freshman year and I love the experience of working with enthusiastic people.

·    What made you decide to apply for this internship?

At first, I met the staff from Asian Americans Advancing Justice at a career fair held in Emory University. I was very impressed by the works of AAAJ. Later, I learned more about the organization, which has been dedicated to make changes for Asian American community. I would love to be part of that and to help promote better life and unite Asian Americans to demand social equality and political rights.

·    What is your expectation and what would you like to get out of the internship experience?

I expect to learn a lot from this internship, and I have been doing so. I volunteered at several events that AAAJ held before I got this internship. For example, I participated in the fourth Annual Asian American Legislative Breakfast and Lobby Day, which gave me life experience with governmental officials and leaders from various groups. When advertising new immigration laws to Burmese immigrants, I learnt a lot about the latest immigrant policies and its relation to the federal legislation process. As this internship goes on, I expect to keep learning about related public policies, laws, regulations, problems, and difficulties Asian American community is facing.

·    Tell us your personal narrative on being Asian in America

Growing up in China, I felt the difference of being an Asian for the first time when I came to the United States. Looking from the experiences of many of my friends and my own, I think that Asians in the U.S. is not only the minority ethnic group but also the unheard. I recognize my identity as being an Asian and I feel that the voice of Asians continues to diminish if they do not demand social justice, political power, and legal rights for themselves.

·    What role would you like to play in Asian American Community in the future?

I would like to help better the social and political statues of Asian American Community. Also, I want to provide information and knowledge to those who do not have access to them. To do so, I have to equip myself with the knowledge and skills needed, and I expect to gain more knowledge and improve my skills from this internship.

·    What is your song of the year?

I am not so sure about my song of the year, but I am very fond of Ella Fitzgerald recently.

·    Any Last words???

I am excited to be on board and I saw everyone busy working and enthusiastic about what they were doing on the first day of my internship. I hope to be part of that. 


No comments:

Post a Comment